Friday, May 16, 2008

Where do I begin?

Hi guys!

Wanna guess where I have been???



I'm back from a wonderful vacation in Florida (USA).

When I got home last weekend, I wanted to read what everybody had been writing about in the past couple of days, but soon I felt like Lucy in the chocolate factory. No matter how much I read, you always manage to keep new posts coming! I even didn't have time to leave comments. I really didn't know where to start. And then there was a house that needed to be cleaned, the laundry of two weeks vacation, working in the garden or blogging? And of course I suffered severely from a jet lag....I'm always a week out of control when the clock is put one hour ahead, let alone six...

I have never been to the USA before, but our son desperately wanted to visit Disney World in the year of a million dreams. Such things are important, next year there will be another theme of course and we definitely are people of a million dreams.
So we went to Miami, Orlando, Sanibel Island and the Keys and we had a terrific time.

I think we have made about a 1000 pictures, but I'll give you 10 to give you an impression of my impression of the States:

Americans are honest people:



Americans like to hug.



What you see is what you get:



There are a lot of things that are larger in the States than they are in Europe.



The soda's are bigger, the Magic Kingdom is bigger than Disneyland in Paris. As a matter of fact Disney World is huge.

Plastic surgery is common in the USA, even so common that some window dummies have had a boob job as well:


Americans like to dress the same way:




You don't agree huh? Well what do you think of this???:




They even like to drive in the same cars:


(This was the first time ever I saw two stretched limo's in one shot that were there by chance, they didn't drive together!)

There are real sharks in Florida, our children were already asking when we were swimming in the Ocean; 'You don't think that there are sharks here, do you? And I told them; 'No of course not, why do you think that I'm swimming here too?' But once again Mummy was wrong...



On the other hand; I knew that there are crocodiles and alligators in Florida, but I only met them at Disney World;

Lucky me!

We had such a nice vacation!

When we came back the weather here in the Netherlands was so nice too, so the garden was growing as fast as possible and it was very dry too. The little pansies were like straw, so we had to replace most of them, but I'll keep my garden pictures for some other time.

The other day I received a huge package from Carol (Boxwood cottage). I told her not to hurry with her Junque in you trunk swap parcel and to send it after my vacation. So it arrived here this week: This picture was taken by Carol as well, as the German Post office was thinking it was better to hide her lovely label by sticking a very ugly white and yellow one over it, you just don't believe your eyes. Though I'm still happy with the delivery service (even Beth has received her package, after I threatened in my post about mailmen and -women), perhaps a course 'How to handle lovely packages' still would be useful.


Lovely huh? Still I was very anxious to open it! And this



was inside, in Carol's words; it felt like Christmas and my birthday at the same time to me too. Inside more boxes and more packages and inside those:



And:






Look at that!!!! Whoooweeeee!!! What a treat! OOoh it was all so wonderful, exactly my taste, so carefully wrapped, with gorgeous dresdens, ribbons, pins and flowers and do you see that welcome spring banner?



This was inside that lovely antique tin. Oooh even when I'm writing this I have to sigh.........



I was secretly hoping that Carol would send me one of her self made pendants. And YESSS she did! What a talented lady isn't she?
Another opened parcel:


Package before:



And after:



You will not believe this but there is still more:



And more:



The loot:


Don't forget to click the pictures to have a large photo so that you can see even the smallest parts, it's worth it!
Oh my, I was spoiled rotten by Carol. Look at all these lovely things, it's all so me!! I cannot wait to use some of these materials to craft with. Thanks so much Carol, it has been so much fun swapping with you. And of course thanks to Heather who has matched us so well.



I already told you that I was hoping for one of Carol's self made pendants, but I did receive three (3!!!)! Ooh I was so happy with this parcel and everything in it and every little piece. I'll keep every paper and every ribbon too!

I have been working on the panels for Beth and Karla's birds and bonnets swap too, hopefully they will be there in time, but I will save these pix for another time too.

Now that I have written this post it feels like I have really come home. I will soon visit you all! Take care and see you!

(A very short dutch translation this time:

We zijn in Florida op vakantie geweest en we hebben er een geweldige tijd gehad.
De tweede serie foto's zijn van het swap pakket dat ik van Carol van Boxwood Cottage kreeg.
Druk, druk, druk...ik denk altijd dat het volgende week rustiger wordt, jullie ook?
groetjes L.

33 comments:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Glad you had a fantastic vacation, I've been lucky enough to go to Disneyword on a couple of occasions and LOVE it!!

And what great treats to be welcomed home with!

Victoria x

María Elena said...

Lili, wonderful vacation!!! I glad that you has enjoyed much. You follow receiving pretty things.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Welcome back Lili.. your homecoming has been long awaited.
I love to travel but it is always so good to come home and especially when you have a garden that you love as much as you do..
How wonderful to come home to such treasures too.. your pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
Lovely and interesting photos of your adventures..

Michelexx

Poppedijne said...

Wat een heerlijke thuiskomst met zo een fantastisch pakket.Het ziet er ook naar uit dat jullie geweldig genoten hebben van de reis!Welkom thuis!
Groetjes,
Nicky

Anonymous said...

Lucky LiLi!
First the land of Enchantment, then home to collect treasures! Thank you for stopping by. Welcome home!
xo
Constance

casa nostra said...

dat is het nadeel als je weer terug komt van vakantie, je moet (wilt) nog zoveel inhalen en weet niet waar te beginnen. wat een leuk pakketje heb je gekregen, kijk ook regelmatig op haar blog en ze maakt echt prachtige dingen.

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

welcome home Lili!!!! So happy you had fun in Florida....what a wonderful vacation for your family!!

LOVE your box of junque from Carol...wow!!! so so pretty.

xo Heather

vosgesparis said...

wat een hilarische plaatjes van die menseni hawai shirt... t is toch een volk apart hoor.. (en ik weet er alles van want ik had vorig jaar, 3 maanden een vriendinnetje van mijn zoon in huis) Vanavond viel mij nogmaals op hoe ver deze mensen van onze belevingswereld afstaan, of misschien verbeeld ik het mij... Er was een programma waaarin een pattisier de mooiste hapjes aan het maken was.. zegt die doos Oh we just take them from our fridge...antwoord van de fransen... Oh really! .... later bij een kleine franse delicatesse , prachtig warm gebakken in de koekenpan.... Can I stick this in my microwave to heat it up again... zucht... Maar goed niet iedereen is natuurlijk zo.. en zo te zien had je een heerlijke en bijzondere vakantie.. Ben je ook nog op amerikaanse brocante jacht geweest?

vosgesparis said...

Je zou dat mannetje toch zijn nek omdraaieen he met zijn 10.000 tupperware dozen.. wat is het nut ervan als je er niet bij kan om te verkopen.. waarschijnlijk heeft hij daar een levenslange voorraad liggen... wie weet in een paar jaar nog eens proberen. Maar een mooi verhaal vooral je PS doet mij grinikken ;)

marga said...

Zo te zien hebben jullie een heerlijke vakantie gehad.
En wat een práchtig pakket bij thuiskomst......zo wil je natuurlijk wel vaker thuiskomen.

Jeanette said...

hallo lidwien, fijn om jouw ook weer terug te hebben hier in holland, zo te zien heb je idd een hele fijne vakantie gehad en wat heb je leuke dingen gespot tijdens je vakantie, geweldig die motor met blauwe bekleding en die mensen in dezelfde hawai kleding, hoe vind je ze toch!! en dan nog eens die geweldige pakjes bij thuiskomst, zo leuk om zulke creatieve blogvrienden te hebben, ze hebben er echt wat moois van gemaakt, bedankt voor je weblink, prachtige site met hele mooie spullen...denk dat ik nog wel eens lint uit engeland ga bestellen want dat is hier echt heel moeilijk vinden hoor

Boxwood Cottage said...

HI LiLi,

what an exciting vacation you had! Can't believe you swum in the ocean where sharks live EEK I would never be that brave!

So so glad and relieved that you love your swap parcel too!:D

I did a garden post today, knowing that you love gardening too, maybe you'd like to have a look?

Hugs Carol xox

Marie Louise said...

Wow - so much to tell about. What a great gift package from Carol. What beautiful things - aren't you lucky!
And your interpretation of the States was very amusing. I liked your point of view, very intuitive of you.
Well good luck with the laundry, the house cleaning, the gardening and your jet lag!

Betty said...

I've always wanted to go to Disneyworld! It's 3000 miles from me though so we make do with Disneyland.
What a wonderful package your received from Carola!

Lori said...

Welcome Back!!! LOL about your pictures and your impressions about America/Americans!!! you are too funny:) i hope you had a wonderful time here...your goodies from Carol look so wonderful, she spoiled you for sure!!!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I love Florida, it is my idea of the perfect vacation! I am going there next month and hope to spend a lot of time on the beach. Glad you had fun, it looked like quite a trip.

Glad you are back, and how nice that you had such a great present waiting when you got back!

Cami said...

I felt like it was my birthday just looking @ YOUR gifts!!! How generous and wonderful! Glad your vacation was so enjoyable. Have a lovely week ahead Lili!

Crafty Mama said...

Ziet er uit als een heerlijke 'kijk' vakantie! Ontzettend leuke foto's maar die van dat Hawaistel is echt goed. Doet me denken aan een voorstelling van Youp van't Hek waarin hij verteld van zo'n stel dat dan samen gaat fietsen met een ander stel in matching fietsen en regenpakken.... bbbbrrrr hahahahha!

Blij dat je weer terug bent! En dat het volgende week minder ddruk gaat worden is volgens mij echt 'a big myth! Ik roep het al weken, maar zie nog geen verschil....

En wat een heerlijk pakketje van Carola! Nu nog tijd vinden om er mee te knutselen!

Fijne dag maar weer! Toedelss

lily-g said...

wow! what a holiday and I loved all your photo's,but how beautiful were your gifts and wrapped so beautifully too.
Judy:)

Beth Leintz said...

I think your pictures totally captured the essence of American culture- except we CAN feed the alligators in Kansas <----teasing!

Looks like you had a great time and oh what wonderful treasures you had when you got home. Of course, I'm still savoring the beautiful package you sent me!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home! They don't call Disney the happiest place on earth for nothing!!!! My husband and I went every other year when we frst met. Now, we'll wait until the twins are 3 or 4 and drag them all over the Magic Kingdom. I'm so glad that you liked it. Miami is wonderful too, isn't it? I could live in Florida if it wasn't for the snakes and bugs!!!

linnea-maria said...

What a wonderful trip you had. I've never been abroad but sometime I will. Oh that gift is making me so so green of envy, wasn't it better than christmas, so lovely things!!! We still have quite cold weather, but no longer snow, though. Have a nice week. Hugs /linnea-maria

Roelina said...

Zo te zien heb je een hele leuke vakantie gehad. En het is leuk als je thuis komt als er zo'n leuk pakket ligt, wat een leuke spulletjes.

Anja said...

Oh jij bent een bofkont! En je vakantie-fotoshow was ook erg vermakelijk. Geniet van je nieuwe frutsels ;-)

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Ik heb weer genoten van je verhaal, zie het dan ook helemaal voor me en zit in mezelf te grinneken Hans vraagt dan vaak al of ik je blog aan het lezen ben en wil dan ook wel even weten waarover het gaat. Geweldig dat stel in de Hawai kleding zie je hier ook nog wel en dan het liefst in felgekleurd camping smoking. Veel gekker moet het niet worden.
Wat een heerlijke pakjes heb je gekregen met van die leuke "moet ik gewoon hebben, en weet nog niet wat ik ermee ga doen" dingen.
Maar gaat vast weer iets leuks worden heelveel plezier ermee.
Gezellig dat je ook weer even bij mij bent langs geweest, en heb je goed opgemerkt dat ik een andere smaak ook kan waarderen en mooi kan vinden. Het is gewoon zo leuk om dit ook mee te maken, mijn dochter woonde na onze scheiding uit praktisch oogpunt nog bij haar vader en nu komt ze lekker weer dicht in de buurt wonen kan ik pastasaus (en ander eten) voor 4 maken en het pannetje gewoon oversteken.
Hartelijke groetjes Marja.

Jeanette Nord said...

Hi Lili!
Welcome back! I have missed you teribly! But now I had a long and lovely post to read and was so happy to read about all your adventures! I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the US. But I am amazed everytime I visit about the strange things you can see....

Wow what a great parcel to recieve in the post. So many lovely things to unwrap....May I confess that I am a tiny bit envious?

Have a great day!

Lots of love
Jeanette

Abacaxi & Hortelã said...

Ohhhh, Disney. Ja wij zijn in juli aan de beurt :-). Gelukkig wel gecombineerd met New york, Washington en zo naar beneden tot Orlando. Krijg er steeds meer zin in, zeker met jouw plaatjes. De Keys zijn ook prachtig hè... dat uitzicht en die ondergaande zon in Key West... de herinneringen zijn er!

SweetAnnee said...

wonderful vacation
AWESOME present!!
woohoo
I want some too
teehee
dEena

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! I would love to take my kids to Disney World someday! Love all the pretty gifts you received in the swap! Lucky lady!
Michelle

Splashes of Pink and Mint said...

Oh my.... wat een foto's!!!! Ik schreef het al bij picasa, maar ik heb gewoon mee zitten genieten hier! En die knoopjes, tja, die had je eigenlijk gewoon móéten hebben! En die swap is ook heerlijk, wat een geweldige frutsels allemaal. Dat is genieten als je net thuis bent (en je al die bergen wasgoed voor je neus hebt, nee, dan is dit véél leuker!)

Adla said...

Lili, you went to one of my favourite places in the world. I love Orlando disneyworld, take me back to being a kid all over again. It's a place for kids and adults alike . OOoO THOSE GATORS loook like they mean business. What a wonderful surprise to come home and get such a delightful package.. Glad you enjoyed your holiday... wanted to ask if you manage to sneak in some thrifting in the U S of A ? :)

chat soon, Adla

Niki Fretwell said...

Thank you for your wonderful tour of Florida - I'm glad to hear that you had such a fabulous time.

And Carols pressie was certainly a treat to come home to - what a generous girl she is,
Niki

Twa said...

Wat een ontzettende leuke foto's heb je gemaakt van je vakantie. En wat een leuk pakketje kreeg je zeg. En ook zoveel.
Groetjes Antoinette