Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A collection of 24: mending thread

Hi! We are still counting up and up! Another week and we will reach 31 and that will be the end of my collecting blog series. Today we are counting 24 paper spools of mending thread:
Hoi! We tellen nog steeds verder! Nog een week en dan bereiken we 31 en dat zal dan het eind zijn van mijn blogprojectje. Vandaag tellen we 24 kartonnen kaartjes met maaswol en draad:
Here are 24 different ones. Most of them were gifted to me from people who know that I collect vintage sewing supplies.
Hier zijn 24 verschillende soorten. De meeste heb ik cadeau gekregen van mensen die weten dat ik vintage naai benodigdheden verzamel.
I think the most well known mending threads in the Netherlands are 'Scheepjeswol' (little ships' wool) here an older and a newer (right) one.
Ik denk dat de Scheepjeswol, hier in 2 uitvoeringen, wel de bekendste is.
This 'Arletta' is one of the few I bought at 'Grootmoeders knoopendoos' (granny's button box).
Deze 'Arletta' is één van de weinigen die ik zelf gekocht heb bij 'Grootmoeders knoopendoos'.
I once blogged about the typical Dutch Hema department store. Of course the Hema sold these too in the past.
Natuurlijk had onze oude vertrouwde Hema ook maas- en splijtgaren.
Even some foreign bloggers send me mending thread, here is one from Sweden and the other one from Canada.
Zelfs buitenlandse bloggers stuurden me deze kaartjes met draad, de linker komt uit Zweden, de rechter uit Canada.

What to do with these cards?
Wat kun je nou met deze kaartjes?
I made this art journal for Linnea Maria.
Ik maakte voor Linnea Maria dit art journal.
and for a button swap I made these tags.
Voor een knopenruil maakte ik deze tags.

Do you have any mending thread in your sewing box? Nowadays people tend to throw away clothes, they don't mend it anymore so mending thread becomes harder and harder to get. Thanks for visiting me and leaving me inspirational comments, I love to do this!

Heb jij nog maaswol in je naaidoos? Tegenwoordig worden kapotte kledingstukken gewoon weggegooid, niet meer gerepareerd, dus dit soort kaartjes zijn niet meer zo gemakkelijk te vinden. Bedankt weer voor je bezoek en je inspirerende commentaar, ik vind het heerlijk om dit te doen!

xoxo LiLi M.

18 comments:

Janine said...

nou meid, ik kijk iedere dag weer met andere ogen anar die spullen die ik bij de verhuizing van mijn ma naar een bejaardenoord allemaal heb weggegooid, als zijnde waardeloos. Niet wetende dat boven de moedijk een dame woont die dat allemaal spaart ;)) Ik denk dan direcht wat mot je ermee, amar als ik je tags en journaal zie dan denk ik, wat creatief!!!!! geweldig meid, ik herleef een beetje mijn jeugd hier :))) en dat ga ik vast missen over 7 dagen :))) bedankt maar vast wat nieuws, liefs van mij, geniet vandaag het wordt mooi weer!!!! doeiii

Pierelantijntjes said...

Goeiemorgen Lili,
Mijn hersenen draaien op volle toeren, want die kaartjes komen mij wel heel bekend voor. Natuurlijk kan ik ze van vroeger want mijn oma breide altijd en ook mijn moeder, en er zijn heel wat sokken gestopt en gaten in kleding gerepareerd en daarvan herken ik die kaartjes wel. Maar het schiet me nu te binnen dat ik vorig jaar op een rommelmarkt met deze kaartjes in mijn handen heb gestaan en dacht, ik vind ze leuk maar wat moet ik ermee? En Voila, jij geeft het antwoord. Ik weet nu als ik ze ooit nog eens tegenkom, dat ik ze dan gewoon maar koop. (Ze kosten toen iets van 20 cent per stuk) Lang leve de rommelmarkten!
Fjne dag toegewenst,
Groetjes van Ester

Loveforpiemonte said...

Ik heb er ook een zwak voor, mijn oma gebruikte ze vroeger altijd heb er dus zelf nog een paar in een weckpot zitten.
Leuk gedaan weer. Ben benieuwd naar je andere 7, zal op zeker weer verrassend zijn.
Fijne dag, Madelon

La Maison said...

Een zonnige morgen Lili,

Hoe krijg je het allemaal zo snel voor elkaar. Maak je de logjes in voorraad en hoe dan?.
Ook vandaag laat je me weer perplex staan, bij iedere bewaarster slingeren wel een paar van die kaartjes. Heel leuk hoor dat je vandaag weer je creatieve jij aan ons hebt laten zien.
Gelukkig kan ik alle verzamelingen meegenieten want op 1 april ben ik even weg.

Gezellige dag
Hermine

Lori said...

how wonderful the graphics are on those...what a great collection LiLi...too cute how you used them for the button swap...

Anonymous said...

Wat een leuk idee om die in je projekten te verwerken.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Lili,, it is as if your relatives knew that you would be collecting such beauties, because everything is SO INTACT! WOW! This is marvelous and I am going to miss this series. I am serious, you should think about publishing this series into a lovely book. I would buy it, for sure!!!

Merci chèrie, Anita

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Those mending thread cards are in fabulous condition! WOW! Love them! =)

Decor To Adore said...

I do have some sock mending thread and it comes in sweet little balls. I will have to show you a picture and see if you would like me to send you a few.

June said...

Lili, I love the cards that the thread comes wound on. Aren't the graphics lovely? I think I know what I'll be looking for at the next flea market I go to. I find them fascinating.
I do mend once in awhile. I have a few things that mean a lot to me and will get mended over and over. But the thing I hate to mend is my husbands jeans. He won't wear mended jeans except to work with his horses. He always tears them when he is putting the shoes on the horses, because the nails are so sharp. He wears chaps when he shoes, but still manages to tear his jeans.lol I guess I could use a lot of mending thread.
hugs
Thank you for such a lovely comment today. I loved it!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Lili, truly, you must do something professional with these fabulous entries one day, trust me.

Bonne nuit chèrie, Anita

somepinkflowers said...

yes
yes
yes
the graphics
and colors
charm my heart!


:-)

i think they are suitable
for framing, lili.


LW said...

Wonderful....I love these....

see you tomorrow and I am still wondering what 31 could be...

Louise

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Good morning, dear LiLi, Even though I love to do all kinds of needlework, mending was something I always hated. Nevertheless some of those vintage mending threads have found their way into my sewing items collection. Like you I use them for art projects. I especially love them when they have nice graphics and you have some very pretty ones!
Hugs,
Julia

BellaRosa said...

Lili amor, I never knew mending threads could be such a neat thing to collect...the old graphics are so lovely...thank you for showing us another great collection :) Only one more week??? say it isn't so...I have truly enjoyed seeing all your wonderful collections! Besos, Rose

Anonymous said...

Fabulous display, I use mine in vignettes, but often scan to use in my collages. Love yours!

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Nou hier heb ik er ook nog wel een paar van liggen. Dus wanneer je er nog meer kunt gebruiken laat het me even weten.

Stacey said...

I'll have to remember that you collect vintage and antique sewing items... I may just have a few things stashed away:)